Chikungunya Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in chikungunya. Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the genus Alphavirus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. Chikungunya infection causes fever and severe joint pain. Other symptoms include muscle pain, headache, nausea, fatigue and rash. The disease shares some clinical signs with dengue, and can be misdiagnosed in areas where dengue is common. There have been recent breakouts of chikungunya in Africa, Asia and the Indian subcontinent. In recent decades mosquito vectors of chikungunya have spread to Europe and the Americas. In 2007, disease transmission was reported for the first time in Europe. There is no cure for the disease. Treatment is focused on relieving the symptoms.
The objectives of Chikungunya Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for chikungunya and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to chikungunya.
- Exposure to Chikungunya may offer partial cross-protection against Mayaro virus - News-Medical.net
Sun, 05 Dec 2021 01:22 GMT
- Chikungunya, Zika And Dengue Virus Incidence In Mexico May Be Higher Than Previously Reported - Eurasia Review
Thu, 02 Dec 2021 23:23 GMT
- Valneva to Present its Chikungunya Vaccine Candidate at the - GlobeNewswire
Mon, 15 Nov 2021 08:00 GMT
- Rash with itching in focus as chikungunya cases rise in Pune - Times of India
Sat, 20 Nov 2021 08:00 GMT
- Cases of Chikungunya rise in Ahmedabad - The Indian Express
Tue, 09 Nov 2021 08:00 GMT
- Delhi logs record number of dengue cases; malaria, chikungunya, too, trouble national capital - India Today
Mon, 15 Nov 2021 08:00 GMT
- Chikungunya: What are the symptoms; all you need to know - India Today
Thu, 26 Aug 2021 07:00 GMT
- What chikungunya teaches us about COVID-19 - The Lancet
Wed, 19 May 2021 07:00 GMT
- Mapping Dengue Hot Spots Can Pinpoint Zika, Chikungunya Risk - PCT Magazine
Tue, 20 Jul 2021 19:13 GMT
- Emergent Enjoys Some Good News, Posting Positive Results for Chikungunya Vaccine - BioSpace
Wed, 26 May 2021 07:00 GMT
- Ribeirao: 9% of suspected dengue cases confirmed in 2021 - brytfmonline.com
Fri, 03 Dec 2021 13:07 GMT
- First-Ever Single-Dose Chikungunya Vaccine Touts Positive Phase III Results - BioSpace
Thu, 05 Aug 2021 07:00 GMT
- Chikungunya in the Americas: More than 120K cases reported, 97% in Brazil - Outbreak News Today - Outbreak News Today
Sat, 30 Oct 2021 07:00 GMT
- Chikungunya Vaccine First to Succeed in Phase III Trial - Labiotech.eu
Thu, 19 Aug 2021 07:00 GMT
- These 10 superfoods will help you recover from chikungunya faster - Hindustan Times
Mon, 13 Sep 2021 07:00 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Rift Valley fever - Sudan: (NO) livestock, human, susp, RFI
Wed, 15 Sep 2021 20:49:58 -0400
Rift Valley Fever -- Sudan
Doctors in Sudan's Northern State have reported 27 deaths and 68 [abortions] among livestock in the area of El Nafaab in Merowe locality and warn of the emergence of cases of Rift Valley fever [RVF] and chikungunya, similar to last year . They have appealed to the Ministry of Health and the state government to deal with the potential epidemic in a safe manner.
In a press statement on Sunday [5 Sep 2021], the Socialist Doctors Association reported that a resident of the state arrived
- Chikungunya virus infection: molecular biology, clinical characteristics, and epidemiology in Asian countries Fri, 03 Dec 2021 06:00:00 -0500
Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is a re-emerging mosquito-borne human pathogen that causes chikungunya fever, which is typically accompanied by severe joint pain. In Asia, serological evidence indicated that CHIKV first emerged in 1954. From the 1950's to 2005, sporadic CHIKV infections were attributed to the Asian genotype. However, the massive outbreak of CHIKV in India and the Southwest Indian Ocean Islands in 2005 has since raised chikungunya as a worldwide public health concern. The virus is...
- Posaconazole inhibits multiple steps of the alphavirus replication cycle Thu, 02 Dec 2021 06:00:00 -0500
Repurposing drugs is a promising strategy to identify therapeutic interventions against novel and re-emerging viruses. Posaconazole is an antifungal drug used to treat invasive aspergillosis and candidiasis. Recently, posaconazole and its structural analog, itraconazole were shown to inhibit replication of multiple viruses by modifying intracellular cholesterol homeostasis. Here, we show that posaconazole inhibits replication of the alphaviruses Semliki Forest virus (SFV), Sindbis virus and...
- Impact of the introduction of chikungunya and zika viruses on the incidence of dengue in endemic zones of Mexico Thu, 02 Dec 2021 06:00:00 -0500
CONCLUSIONS AND SIGNIFICANCE: The results obtained in this study show for the first time the real impact on the detected incidence of dengue after the introduction of CHIKV and ZIKV in Mexico, the degree of underestimation of these arboviruses in the country, as well as the co-infections between these viruses, whose importance clinical and epidemiological are still unknown.
- Demystifying therapeutic potential of medicinal plants against chikungunya virus Thu, 02 Dec 2021 06:00:00 -0500
Viral infections are posing a great threat to humanity for the last few years. Among these, Chikungunya which is a mosquito-borne viral infection has produced enormous epidemics around the world after been rebounded. Although this infection shows a low mortality rate, patients suffer from fever, arthralgia, and maculopapular rashes, which reduce the quality of life for several weeks to years. The currently available treatments only provide symptomatic relief based on analgesics, antipyretics,...
- Evidence of Chikungunya virus seroprevalence in Myanmar among dengue-suspected patients and healthy volunteers in 2013, 2015, and 2018 Wed, 01 Dec 2021 06:00:00 -0500
CONCLUSION: The findings in this study reveal the circulation of CHIKV in Myanmar's Mandalay, Yangon, and Myeik regions before the 2019 CHIKV outbreak. As no treatment or vaccine for CHIKV exists, the virus must be monitored through systematic surveillance in Myanmar.
- Serological Responses in Patients Infected with Mayaro Virus and Evaluation of Cross-Protective Responses against Chikungunya Virus Mon, 29 Nov 2021 06:00:00 -0500
Mayaro virus (MAYV) is an alphavirus endemic to both Latin America and the Caribbean. Recent reports have questioned the ability of MAYV and its close relative, Chikungunya virus (CHIKV), to generate cross-reactive, neutralizing antibodies to one another. Since CHIKV was introduced to South America in 2013, discerning whether individuals have cross-reactive antibodies or whether they have had exposures to both viruses previously has been difficult. Using samples obtained from people infected...
- Chikungunya Virus Infects the Heart and Induces Heart-Specific Transcriptional Changes in an Immunodeficient Mouse Model of Infection Mon, 29 Nov 2021 06:00:00 -0500
Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is a mosquito-transmitted pathogen in family Togaviridae, genus Alphavirus. Although CHIKV is well known for its ability to cause debilitating rheumatoid-like arthritis, it has been also been observed to cause cardiovascular symptoms such as arrhythmias. Here, using samples from a previous study, we sequenced RNA from serum, kidney, skeletal muscle, and cardiac muscle from CHIKV- and mock-infected IFN-αR-/- mice using two sequencing techniques to investigate...
- The Future of Carica papaya Leaf Extract as an Herbal Medicine Product Sat, 27 Nov 2021 06:00:00 -0500
Carica papaya (papaya) leaf extract has been used for a long time in a traditional medicine to treat fever in some infectious diseases such as dengue, malaria, and chikungunya. The development of science and technology has subsequently made it possible to provide evidence that this plant is not only beneficial as an informal medication, but also that it has scientifically proven pharmacological and toxicological activities, which have led to its formal usage in professional health care systems....
- Molecular Characterization of Associated Pathogens in Febrile Patients during Inter-Epidemic Periods of Urban Arboviral Diseases in Tapachula Southern Mexico Sat, 27 Nov 2021 06:00:00 -0500
Emerging and re-emerging vector-borne infections are a global public health threat. In endemic regions, fever is the main reason for medical attention, and the etiological agent of such fever is not usually identified. In this study, non-specific febrile pathogens were molecularly characterized in serum samples from 253 patients suspected of arbovirus infection. The samples were collected in the southern border region of Mexico from April to June 2015, and February to March 2016. ZIKV, CHIKV,...
- Murine Trophoblast Stem Cells and Their Differentiated Cells Attenuate Zika Virus In Vitro by Reducing Glycosylation of the Viral Envelope Protein Sat, 27 Nov 2021 06:00:00 -0500
Zika virus (ZIKV) infection during pregnancy can cause devastating fetal neuropathological abnormalities, including microcephaly. Most studies of ZIKV infection in pregnancy have focused on post-implantation stage embryos. Currently, we have limited knowledge about how a pre-implantation stage embryo deals with a viral infection. This study investigates ZIKV infection on mouse trophoblast stem cells (TSCs) and their in vitro differentiated TSCs (DTSCs), which resemble the cellular components of...