Chikungunya Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in chikungunya. Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the genus Alphavirus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. Chikungunya infection causes fever and severe joint pain. Other symptoms include muscle pain, headache, nausea, fatigue and rash. The disease shares some clinical signs with dengue, and can be misdiagnosed in areas where dengue is common. There have been recent breakouts of chikungunya in Africa, Asia and the Indian subcontinent. In recent decades mosquito vectors of chikungunya have spread to Europe and the Americas. In 2007, disease transmission was reported for the first time in Europe. There is no cure for the disease. Treatment is focused on relieving the symptoms.
The objectives of Chikungunya Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for chikungunya and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to chikungunya.
- Chikungunya in Burkina Faso - Level 2 - Level 2 - Practice ... - CDC
Thu, 09 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- FDA Approves First Vaccine to Prevent Disease Caused by ... - FDA.gov
Thu, 09 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- EMA Accepts Valneva's Chikungunya Vaccine Marketing ... - Valneva
Mon, 27 Nov 2023 06:00 GMT
- Chikungunya information for travelers - World Health Organization
Thu, 23 Nov 2023 12:41 GMT
- First Ever Chikungunya Vaccine Approved by the FDA, What to Know - Healthline
Wed, 15 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- Vaccine Against Chikungunya Approved By The FDA. Should You Get It? - Forbes
Mon, 20 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- First vaccine for chikungunya virus, an 'emerging global health threat,' gets FDA approval - FOX 10 News Phoenix
Sat, 11 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- Ludhiana health dept records contradict on-ground Chikungunya surge - Hindustan Times
Thu, 30 Nov 2023 07:57 GMT
- US approves first vaccine against chikungunya virus - IndiaTimes
Fri, 10 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- Morning news brief: Israel targets hospitals in Gaza, first chikungunya vaccine, and more - WION
Fri, 10 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- Prevention Strategies Against Dengue, Chikungunya and Zika - InfoBonaire.com
Sun, 19 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- Was This a Recurrence of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma or Something ... - The New York Times
Mon, 20 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- 1,503 and counting: Chikungunya cases in Punjab at 7-year high - Hindustan Times
Thu, 23 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- Chikungunya cases rise 384 percent - Philstar.com
Sat, 25 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- Scientifically Speaking | The first chikungunya vaccine could be a ... - MSN
Fri, 17 Nov 2023 08:00 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Rift Valley fever - Sudan: (NO) livestock, human, susp, RFI
Wed, 15 Sep 2021 20:49:58 -0400
Rift Valley Fever -- Sudan
Doctors in Sudan's Northern State have reported 27 deaths and 68 [abortions] among livestock in the area of El Nafaab in Merowe locality and warn of the emergence of cases of Rift Valley fever [RVF] and chikungunya, similar to last year . They have appealed to the Ministry of Health and the state government to deal with the potential epidemic in a safe manner.
In a press statement on Sunday [5 Sep 2021], the Socialist Doctors Association reported that a resident of the state arrived
- Transcriptome analysis of Huh7 cells upon Chikungunya virus infection and capsid transfection reveals regulation of distinct cellular and metabolic pathways Sun, 03 Dec 2023 06:00:00 -0500
Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) causes persistent arthritis and neurological problems imposing a huge burden globally. The present study aims to understand the interaction mechanism of Chikungunya virus and CHIKV-capsid in Huh7 cells. The RNA-sequencing and qRT-PCR method was used for the transcript and gene profiles of CHIKV virus and CHIKV capsid alone. Transcriptional analysis showed capsid induced 1114 and 956 differentially expressed genes (DEGs) to be upregulated and downregulated respectively,...
- Joint spatial modeling of the risks of co-circulating mosquito-borne diseases in Ceará, Brazil Sat, 02 Dec 2023 06:00:00 -0500
Mosquito-borne diseases such as dengue and chikungunya have been co-circulating in the Americas, causing great damage to the population. In 2021, for instance, almost 1.5 million cases were reported on the continent, being Brazil the responsible for most of them. Even though they are transmitted by the same mosquito, it remains unclear whether there exists a relationship between both diseases. In this paper, we model the geographic distributions of dengue and chikungunya over the years 2016 to...
- IgM-specific linear epitopes on the E2 protein for serodiagnosis of Chikungunya Sat, 02 Dec 2023 06:00:00 -0500
Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) and Dengue virus (DENV) are vector-borne diseases transmitted by Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus that pose a significant threat to global public health. Cases of acute Chikungunya fever often present similar clinical symptoms to other vector-borne diseases such as Dengue fever. In regions where multiple vector-borne diseases coexist, CHIKV is often overlooked or misdiagnosed as Dengue virus, West Nile virus, Zika virus or other viral infections, which delays its...
- Introduction of invasive mosquito species into Europe and prospects for arbovirus transmission and vector control in an era of globalization Fri, 01 Dec 2023 06:00:00 -0500
CONCLUSIONS: Climate change and globalization resulting in the increased establishment of invasive mosquitoes in particular of the Asian tiger mosquito Ae. albopictus in Europe within the last 30 years and increasing outbreaks of infections by mosquito-borne viruses warrants intensification of research and monitoring. Further, effective future mosquito control programs require increase in intense community and private participation, applying physical, chemical, biological, and genetical control...
- A Review of Pathogens Transmitted by the Container-Inhabiting Mosquitoes, Aedes Albopictus, A Global Public Health Threat Wed, 29 Nov 2023 06:00:00 -0500
Dengue virus (DENV), Chikungunya virus (CHIKV), and Zika virus (ZIKV) are highly pathogenic human arboviruses transmitted by the Aedes (Stegomyia) albopictus (Skuse) (Diptera: Culicidae) or Ae. Albopictus mosquito. These arboviruses are responsible for causing fever, hemorrhagic conditions, and neurological diseases in humans post-bite from an infected Aedes mosquito. Over the past 80 years, the Ae. albopictus has infested every habitable continent, bar Antarctica, thereby escalating the...
- Data from Entomological Collections of Aedes (Diptera: Culicidae) in a post-epidemic area of Chikungunya, City of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo Wed, 29 Nov 2023 06:00:00 -0500
Arbovirus epidemics (chikungunya, dengue, West Nile fever, yellow fever and zika) are a growing threat in African areas where Aedes (Stegomyia) aegypti (Linnaeus, 1762) and Aedes albopictus (Skuse, 1895) are present. The lack of comprehensive sampling of these two vectors limits our understanding of their propagation dynamics in areas at risk of arboviruses. Here, we collected 6,943 observations (both larval and human capture) of Ae. aegypti and Ae. albopictus between 2020 and 2022. The study...
- FDA Approves First Chikungunya Vaccine Wed, 29 Nov 2023 06:00:00 -0500
- Advancing Chikungunya Diagnosis: A Cost-Effective and Rapid Visual employing Loop-mediated isothermal reaction Tue, 28 Nov 2023 06:00:00 -0500
The diagnosis of Chikungunya (CHIKV), along with the simultaneous monitoring of virus circulation in the population or vectors, is essential for global health. Although effective diagnostic methods for CHIKV, such as RT-qPCR, exist, their utilization is constrained by high costs. With the aim of contributing to the field of diagnostics, we have developed a diagnostic assay using isothermal amplification technology with visually interpretable results. This test can detect the virus within a...
- An emerging clade of Chikungunya West African genotype discovered in real-time during 2023 outbreak in Senegal Tue, 28 Nov 2023 06:00:00 -0500
Chikungunya (CHIKV) is a re-emerging endemic arbovirus in West Africa. Since July 2023, Senegal and Burkina Faso have been experiencing an ongoing outbreak, with over 300 confirmed cases detected so far in the regions of Kédougou and Tambacounda in Senegal, the largest recorded outbreak yet. CHIKV is typically maintained in a sylvatic cycle in Senegal but its evolution and factors contributing to re-emergence are so far unknown in West Africa, leaving a gap in understanding and responding to...
- Mitochondrial protein BNIP3 regulates Chikungunya virus replication in the early stages of infection Mon, 27 Nov 2023 06:00:00 -0500
Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is a human pathogen causing outbreaks of febrile illness for which vaccines and specific treatments remain unavailable. Autophagy-related (ATG) proteins and autophagy receptors are a set of host factors that participate in autophagy, but have also shown to function in other unrelated cellular pathways. Although autophagy is reported to both inhibit and enhance CHIKV replication, the specific role of individual ATG proteins remains largely unknown. Here, a siRNA screen...