Chikungunya Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in chikungunya. Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the genus Alphavirus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. Chikungunya infection causes fever and severe joint pain. Other symptoms include muscle pain, headache, nausea, fatigue and rash. The disease shares some clinical signs with dengue, and can be misdiagnosed in areas where dengue is common. There have been recent breakouts of chikungunya in Africa, Asia and the Indian subcontinent. In recent decades mosquito vectors of chikungunya have spread to Europe and the Americas. In 2007, disease transmission was reported for the first time in Europe. There is no cure for the disease. Treatment is focused on relieving the symptoms.
The objectives of Chikungunya Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for chikungunya and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to chikungunya.
- Brazil chikungunya: 162,000 cases reported in first eight months of 2022 - Outbreak News Today - Outbreak News Today
Mon, 12 Sep 2022 07:00 GMT
- Chikungunya incidence low, only 95 cases in Pune this year - Hindustan Times
Fri, 23 Sep 2022 07:00 GMT
- Oklahoma participants needed for mosquito-borne illness vaccine trial - KFOR Oklahoma City
Fri, 09 Sep 2022 07:00 GMT
- Delhi record 129 fresh cases of Dengue, tally reaches 500 | Mint - Mint
Mon, 26 Sep 2022 16:09 GMT
- WHO launches new initiative to stop the spread of invasive malaria vector in Africa - World Health Organization
Thu, 29 Sep 2022 11:26 GMT
- Efficacy of native cyclopoid copepods in biological vector control with regard to their predatory behavior against the Asian tiger mosquito, Aedes albopictus - Parasites & Vectors - Parasites & Vectors
Sat, 01 Oct 2022 10:05 GMT
- Mosquitoes Love Water prevent breeding sites - CNW Network - caribbeannationalweekly.com
Sat, 01 Oct 2022 15:09 GMT
- Chikungunya virus assembly and budding visualized in situ using cryogenic electron tomography - Nature.com
Thu, 30 Jun 2022 07:00 GMT
- Chikungunya virus assembly and egress - Nature.com
Tue, 02 Aug 2022 07:00 GMT
- Bolivian epidemiologist receives posthumous PAHO Award for Health Services Management and Leadership - Pan American Health Organization
Mon, 26 Sep 2022 22:20 GMT
- What is chikungunya; know the warning signs and symptoms, causes and treatment - Hindustan Times
Sat, 13 Aug 2022 07:00 GMT
- Delhi’s Mohalla clinics: The first line of defence - Observer Research Foundation
Thu, 29 Sep 2022 10:49 GMT
- Novel chikungunya vaccine shows promise for durable protection - The Lancet
Mon, 13 Jun 2022 07:00 GMT
- Brazil chikungunya case count tops 186K year to date - Outbreak News Today - Outbreak News Today
Sat, 30 Jul 2022 07:00 GMT
- Effective coordination between various departments can control vector-borne disease: Punjab Health Minister | eHealth Magazine eHealth Magazine - Elets
Fri, 30 Sep 2022 10:02 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Rift Valley fever - Sudan: (NO) livestock, human, susp, RFI
Wed, 15 Sep 2021 20:49:58 -0400
Rift Valley Fever -- Sudan
Doctors in Sudan's Northern State have reported 27 deaths and 68 [abortions] among livestock in the area of El Nafaab in Merowe locality and warn of the emergence of cases of Rift Valley fever [RVF] and chikungunya, similar to last year . They have appealed to the Ministry of Health and the state government to deal with the potential epidemic in a safe manner.
In a press statement on Sunday [5 Sep 2021], the Socialist Doctors Association reported that a resident of the state arrived
- Antisynthetase Syndrome after chikungunya infection: A case report Thu, 29 Sep 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Chikungunya is an arboviral disease caused by a virus with wide geographical distribution in endemic areas. This case report documents a patient with antisynthetase syndrome post-chikungunya infection. Autoimmune diseases result from breakdown of immune tolerance. Among all triggers, viruses represent the greatest environmental potential to precipitate inflammatory myopathy.
- Comprehensive Molecular Interaction Studies to Construe the Repellent/Kill Activity of Geraniol During Binding Event Against Aedes aegypti Proteins Wed, 28 Sep 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Aedes aegypti is an etiological agent for dengue, chikungunya, zika, and yellow fever viruses. With the advent of the use of natural alternatives as repellents, their precise mode of action during the event of binding is still unclear. Geraniol is one such bioactive natural that has been previously shown to have some insecticide properties. Thus, the present study aimed to understand the mechanism of the binding event of geraniol with the whole proteome of A. aegypti. Twenty protein target...
- Arbovirus detection in synanthropic mosquitoes from the Brazilian Amazon and in mosquito saliva using Flinders Technology Associates cards Tue, 27 Sep 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Although arbovirus transmission and identifying target vectors may provide a baseline for planning disease control strategies, there are many gaps in knowledge regarding these mosquitoes and viral species in urban, rural, or sylvatic habitats in the Brazilian Amazon. Our goal was to screen for dengue, chikungunya, and Zika viruses in synanthropic mosquitoes and with Flinders Technology Associates (FTA) cards using insect saliva. Mosquitoes were caught using ovitraps and aspirators in the city of...
- The lncRNA ALPHA specifically targets chikungunya virus to control infection Tue, 27 Sep 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Arthropod-borne viruses, including the alphavirus chikungunya virus (CHIKV), cause acute disease in millions of people and utilize potent mechanisms to antagonize and circumvent innate immune pathways including the type I interferon (IFN) pathway. In response, hosts have evolved antiviral counterdefense strategies that remain incompletely understood. Recent studies have found that long noncoding RNAs (lncRNAs) regulate classical innate immune pathways; how lncRNAs contribute to additional...
- Tumor necrosis factor plays a deleterious role in the pathogenesis of chikungunya virus infection Tue, 27 Sep 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Arthralgia is a hallmark of chikungunya virus (CHIKV) infection and can be very debilitating and associated with a robust local inflammatory response. Many pathophysiological aspects associated with the disease remain to be elucidated. Here, we describe a novel model of CHIKV infection in immunocompetent mice and evaluate the role of tumor necrosis factor in the pathogenesis of the disease. C57BL/6 wild type (WT) or TNF receptor 1 deficient (TNFR1^(-/-) ) mice were inoculated with 1x10⁶ PFU of...
- Dataset of vector mosquito images Tue, 27 Sep 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Mosquitoes pose substantial threat to public health resulting in million number of deaths wordlwide every year. They act as the vectors responsible for diseases such as Dengue, Yellow fever,Chikungunya, Zika etc. The harmful mosquito species are contained in the genera Aedes, Anopheles and Culex. Automated species identification of vectors is essential to implement targeted vector control strategies. The objective of the proposed paper is to construct a novel dataset of images of dangerous...
- Influence of epidemics and pandemics on paediatric ED use: a systematic review Mon, 26 Sep 2022 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSIONS: The scale and direction of effect of PED use depend on both the epidemic disease, the public health measures enforced and how these influence decision-making. Policy makers must be aware how fear of virus among the general public may influence their response to public health advice. There is large inequity in reporting of epidemic impact on PED use which needs to be addressed.
- In Depth Viral Diversity Analysis in Atypical Neurological and Neonatal Chikungunya Infections in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Fri, 23 Sep 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is an arthropod-borne virus (arbovirus) transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes. The human infection usually manifests as a febrile and incapacitating arthritogenic illness, self-limiting and non-lethal. However, since 2013, CHIKV spreading through the tropics and to the Americas was accompanied by an increasing number of cases of atypical disease presentation, namely severe neuropathies and neonatal infection due to intrapartum vertical transmission. The pathophysiological...
- Heart Disease and Arboviruses: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Fri, 23 Sep 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Dengue fever, chikungunya, and zika are highly prevalent arboviruses transmitted by hematophagous arthropods, with a widely neglected impact in developing countries. These diseases cause acute illness in diverse populations, as well as potential cardiovascular complications. A systematic review was carried out to investigate the burden of cardiac involvement related to these arboviruses. Multiple databases were searched for articles that investigated the association of cardiovascular diseases...
- Viral Metagenomics for the Identification of Emerging Infections in Clinical Samples with Inconclusive Dengue, Zika, and Chikungunya Viral Amplification Fri, 23 Sep 2022 06:00:00 -0400
Viral metagenomics is increasingly being used for the identification of emerging and re-emerging viral pathogens in clinical samples with unknown etiology. The objective of this study was to shield light on the metavirome composition in clinical samples obtained from patients with clinical history compatible with an arboviral infection, but that presented inconclusive results when tested using RT-qPCR. The inconclusive amplification results might be an indication of the presence of an emerging...