Chikungunya Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in chikungunya. Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is an insect-borne virus, of the genus Alphavirus, that is spread by Aedes mosquitoes. Chikungunya infection causes fever and severe joint pain. Other symptoms include muscle pain, headache, nausea, fatigue and rash. The disease shares some clinical signs with dengue, and can be misdiagnosed in areas where dengue is common. There have been recent breakouts of chikungunya in Africa, Asia and the Indian subcontinent. In recent decades mosquito vectors of chikungunya have spread to Europe and the Americas. In 2007, disease transmission was reported for the first time in Europe. There is no cure for the disease. Treatment is focused on relieving the symptoms.
The objectives of Chikungunya Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for chikungunya and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to chikungunya.
- Emergent BioSolutions begins phase 3 study of chikungunya virus vaccine candidate - Homeland Preparedness News
Fri, 15 Oct 2021 18:18 GMT
- Emergent BioSolutions Announces Initiation of Pivotal Phase 3 Study Evaluating the Safety and Immunogenicity of Its Single-Dose Chikungunya Vaccine Candidate, CHIKV VLP | Vaccines | News Channels - PipelineReview.com
Sat, 16 Oct 2021 09:46 GMT
- Brazil: Paraná state reports first chikungunya cases in Rondon - Outbreak News Today - Outbreak News Today
Thu, 14 Oct 2021 13:31 GMT
- Public Relations confirms the first cases of chikungunya in the epidemic period - brytfmonline.com
Thu, 14 Oct 2021 02:26 GMT
- Mumbai doctors see a spurt in chikungunya cases - Hindustan Times
Mon, 27 Sep 2021 07:00 GMT
- Mumbai: Chikungunya cases in city surge by 78.75% - Free Press Journal
Thu, 14 Oct 2021 21:44 GMT
- Clinical trials show promise for Chikungunya vaccine - Mexico News Daily
Tue, 28 Sep 2021 07:00 GMT
- Ahmedabad - LatestLY
Thu, 14 Oct 2021 17:34 GMT
- Co-Diagnostics JV CoSara receives CDSCO clearance for chikungunya and dengue tests - BSI bureau
Fri, 17 Sep 2021 07:00 GMT
- After dengue, chikungunya cases also take wing in Maharashtra and Mumbai - Times of India
Fri, 24 Sep 2021 07:00 GMT
- Co-Diagnostics JV CoSara Receives Clearance from Indian Regulators for Dengue/Chikungunya Multiplex Test - Yahoo Finance
Wed, 06 Oct 2021 14:54 GMT
- Taking Aim at Alphaviruses - Global Biodefense
Tue, 12 Oct 2021 15:31 GMT
- Pune records 80 chikungunya, 192 dengue cases in September - Hindustan Times
Mon, 04 Oct 2021 07:00 GMT
- Fivefold increase in pediatric chikungunya cases from 2019 in Ahmedabad - Times of India
Fri, 24 Sep 2021 07:00 GMT
- Cases of dengue and chikungunya more than double in city in one month: PMC - The Indian Express
Sat, 02 Oct 2021 07:00 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Rift Valley fever - Sudan: (NO) livestock, human, susp, RFI
Wed, 15 Sep 2021 20:49:58 -0400
Rift Valley Fever -- Sudan
Doctors in Sudan's Northern State have reported 27 deaths and 68 [abortions] among livestock in the area of El Nafaab in Merowe locality and warn of the emergence of cases of Rift Valley fever [RVF] and chikungunya, similar to last year . They have appealed to the Ministry of Health and the state government to deal with the potential epidemic in a safe manner.
In a press statement on Sunday [5 Sep 2021], the Socialist Doctors Association reported that a resident of the state arrived
- Anti-inflammatory effect of Kaba Sura Kudineer (AYUSH approved COVID-19 drug)-A Siddha poly-herbal formulation against lipopolysaccharide induced inflammatory response in RAW-264.7 macrophages cells Fri, 15 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSIONS: . Together, this study has proven that KSK could be a potential therapeutic drug for alleviating excessive inflammation in many inflammation-associated diseases like COVID-19.
- Indirect transfer of pyriproxyfen to European honeybees via an autodissemination approach Thu, 14 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
The frequency of arboviral disease epidemics is increasing and vector control remains the primary mechanism to limit arboviral transmission. Container inhabiting mosquitoes such as Aedes albopictus and Aedes aegypti are the primary vectors of dengue, chikungunya, and Zika viruses. Current vector control methods for these species are often ineffective, suggesting the need for novel control approaches. A proposed novel approach is autodissemination of insect growth regulators (IGRs). The advantage...
- Thrombotic microangiopathy associated with arboviral infection: Report of 3 cases Thu, 14 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Dengue fever and chikungunya are viral diseases that have spread rapidly throughout the world in recent decades. The occurrence of complications is well known, including prerenal acute kidney injury (AKI), which is usually thought to be caused by dehydration and fluid loss. Thrombotic microangiopathy (TMA) is an uncommon aggravation of dengue fever and chikungunya, with only a few cases described in the medical literature. The aim of this study is to present 3 cases of TMA associated with...
- Sulfasalazine-induced drug reaction with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms (DRESS) with concomitant acute chikungunya virus infection: possible role of new viral trigger Wed, 13 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Drug reaction with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms (DRESS) is designated as a potentially lethal adverse drug effect with characteristic signs and symptoms such as skin rash, fever, leucocytosis with eosinophilia or atypical lymphocytes, lymphadenopathy and liver or renal dysfunction. In addition to most commonly implicated drug category (aromatic anticonvulsants), lamotrigine, sulfonamides, dapsone and abacavir may also induce this syndrome. We describe here a case a sulfasalazine-induced...
- An update on the mosquito fauna and mosquito-borne diseases distribution in Cameroon Tue, 12 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
The expansion of mosquito-borne diseases such as dengue, yellow fever, and chikungunya in the past 15 years has ignited the need for active surveillance of common and neglected mosquito-borne infectious diseases. The surveillance should be designed to detect diseases and to provide relevant field-based data for developing and implementing effective control measures to prevent outbreaks before significant public health consequences can occur. Mosquitoes are important vectors of human and animal...
- Source-tracking of the Chinese Chikungunya viruses suggests that Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia act as major hubs for the recent global spread of Chikungunya virus Tue, 12 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSIONS: Here we report a novel CHIKV isolate from a chikungunya patient who came from Myanmar to China in 2019, and summarize the source and evolution of Chinese CHIKV strains. Our present findings provide a better understanding of the recent global evolution of CHIKV, highlighting the urgent need for strengthened surveillance against viral diversity.
- Pleiotropic Odorant-Binding Proteins Promote Aedes aegypti Reproduction and Flavivirus Transmission Tue, 12 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Insect odorant-binding proteins (OBPs) are small soluble proteins that have been assigned roles in olfaction, but their other potential functions have not been extensively explored. Using CRISPR/Cas9-mediated disruption of Aedes aegypti Obp10 and Obp22, we demonstrate the pleiotropic contribution of these proteins to multiple processes that are essential for vectorial capacity. Mutant mosquitoes have impaired host-seeking and oviposition behavior, reproduction, and arbovirus transmission. Here,...
- Musculoskeletal disorders due to chikungunya virus: A real experience in a rheumatology department in Neiva, Huila Sat, 09 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSIONS: The development of musculoskeletal symptoms after CHIKV infection is a very serious public health problem, with persistent complications and long-term morbidity risk in real life. The presence of net postviral arthritis is noteworthy, however the development of postCHIKV rheumatoid arthritis usually requires more advanced pharmacological measures, including, in some cases, transition to biological therapy. The presence of symptoms of venous insufficiency in the lower limbs that...
- Sugar prevalence in Aedes albopictus differs by habitat, sex and time of day on Masig Island, Torres Strait, Australia Sat, 09 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSIONS: These findings provide baseline information about the sugar-feeding patterns of Ae. albopictus and provide essential information to enable an assessment of the potential of ATSBs for vector suppression and control on Masig Island, with relevance to other locations where this species occurs.
- Genetic characterization of chikungunya virus isolates from Aedes aegypti mosquitoes collected during a recent outbreak in Bangkok, Thailand Fri, 08 Oct 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is a mosquito-borne emerging pathogen that is transmitted to humans through the bite of female Aedes mosquitoes. CHIKV infection has become a major public health concern worldwide, as it has a significant impact on the healthcare system. Since 2004, the virus has emerged in Africa and subsequently spread to countries located near the Indian Ocean, including India, and to Europe, the Americas, and Asia. In Thailand, a large CHIKV outbreak occurred during 2008-2009 and...